Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Scream Factory Wishlist, Part II



It seemed inevitable that there would be a Part II of my wishlist. I wasn't thinking sequel- sure, that's what they all say- but that changed over the weekend when I was listening to a marathon of the GeekNation podcast, Killer P.O.V. (hosted by Fangoria's Rebekah McKendry, FEARnet's Rob G., and Inside Horror's Elric Kane). In one episode, Scream Factory's marketing director, Jeff Nelson, was a guest. During that conversation, they mentioned a film I could not believe I totally blanked on when I was coming up with the initial list. It's one that should have been at the very top of that list, because I have been waiting for-evah for it to make its disc debut. I quickly came up with an idea: rather than simply update the previous post, I decided to make another list of films that I think need the Scream Factory treatment. So, here's some more wishful thinking, starting with that film almost lost in the wind of my brain fart:


 
Blood Beach (1981)

This movie was a very memorable part of my early horror movie-watching. I was five when I saw Blood Beach on cable, and it scared the living crap out of me. So much that, the next time the family went to the coast, I was too scared to walk out onto the beach in fear of being sucked into the sand. Twelve years went by before I would ever see it again. At one point, I thought I dreamed the movie up in my head! I caught it on TBS my junior year of high school, back when they used to show low-budget fare late at night, and I was shocked to discover... how god-awful it was! Seriously, after it was done I was like, "Really?! I was scared shitless by that?!" Eventually, I came to be charmed by how much of a scuzzy, low-rent piece of crap it is, and by the time the Anchor Bays of the world started releasing cult horror films on DVD, I patiently waited for Blood Beach to get its turn. I'm still waiting. I'm now hoping Scream Factory can come to my rescue.


Firestarter (1984)

I would be extremely happy if Firestarter is included in Scream's deal with Universal. This was one of my favorite King adaptations as a kid, and I still think it's pretty good, despite the fact that Tangerine Dream's score hasn't aged well. Firestarter is also where my life-long crush on Drew Barrymore began. It looks like the bare-bones DVD Universal put out all the way back in 1998 is out-of-print, so I believe it's high time to rekindle this title. Yeah, I went there. But honestly, what a coup it would be for the Factory if they got Barrymore involved to do an interview or a commentary for the Blu-ray.


 


Christine (1983) and Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Just like Fright Night, John Carpenter's Christine and Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead were given very limited Blu-Ray releases by Twilight Time. From what I read about these disc and looking at Twilight Time's entire catalog, it's obvious that this is not a fan-friendly label. All they do is recycle content onto the newer format, and, to me, high definition alone is no incentive to fork over a wad of cash for a new disc. I was happy to trade in our Halloween II, Halloween III and Phantasm II DVDs for the Scream Factory Blu-Rays, because they offered reasons to upgrade. Twilight Time doesn't.


New Year's Evil (1980)

I love finding 80's slashers I missed out on as a kid. It's a fun hobby for me. Jenn and I rang in January 1st with this early Cannon Films production a couple of years ago, and I personally liked it. Even though it was released after Friday the 13th, New Year's Evil was made at a time when the slasher formula was not entirely set in stone. So instead, it made for an unintentionally humorous cash-in on Halloween. I almost bought this on Amazon, until I read this in the description:
"This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.
This product is expected to play back in DVD Video "play only" devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives."
Uh, no thanks. Since this is one of your library titles, MGM, why don't you go ahead and let the Factory give us the real deal?



Prom Night (1979)

I'm loving that more of Jamie Lee Curtis's scream queen-era films are getting the Scream Factory treatment, and Prom Night should be no exception. This is another movie that needs saving from Cheap DVD Label Hell.



Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)

I don't know what prompted me to skip this movie when it came out in '87. The poster looked awesome. The trailer looked cool. Maybe it was because it was a Part II, and I had no memory of a Part I? Who knows. We rented it from Netflix last year, and I'm kicking myself for missing it the first time around. Even though it wasn't intended at first to be a sequel, I like it better than the original Prom Night. Hello Mary Lou is just nuts! I'm sure there's a following, so, considering this is another MGM library title, this movie would be a surefire hit for Scream Factory.


Tremors (1990)

Aside from Jurassic Park, Tremors is the best monster movie of the 90s. And Ariana Richards is in both of them. How about that? I really hope this one is also part of Scream Factory's deal with Universal, because since the latter didn't give it the lavish 100th Anniversary Blu-Ray release like many of its other titles, then they should let the former do it justice. In addition to the DVD extras, I would love to hear a Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward commentary, wouldn't you? Hell, if the new key art is anything like this Fright Rags shirt, I'm sold:




Last, but definitely not least...


The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2 (1986)
 
I was totally going to leave this off the list; I'm pretty positive Scream Factory will re-release Chainsaw 2 as a collector's edition. Why did I include it, then? Because the artwork for MGM's 2006 "Gruesome Edition" fucking sucks. I love the movie, love the bonuses, love the fact the DVD was a Christmas present from my brother, but the art pisses me off to no end. The cover was completely Saw-ed in an obvious attempt to lure younger buyers, therefore unindicative of what the movie is. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2 is the looniest, most garish funhouse ride ever committed to film. It's what House of 1,000 Corpses only dreams of being. I would rather just have the above poster as the cover, but I've got plenty of faith in SF's art department to come up with key art that will better represent how sickeningly insane this movie is.


Scream Factory home:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=screamfactory

Scream Factory Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamFactoryDVD?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Killer P.O.V. podcast:

http://www.geeknation.com/podcasts/

No comments:

Post a Comment