Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hardware finally comes to DVD!

     There wasn't much to do in Coalinga during my teen years.  I know a lot of kids would say that about their hometown, but I, on the other hand, flatly refused to partake in the usual rural area antics: drinking, knocking up girls, tipping over cows.  Instead there was a lot of late weekend nights spent watching the telly.  In between Headbanger's Ball and Beavis & Butthead, I scoured the late-night cable circuit looking for good movies to watch, for there was some pretty wacky stuff back in the day.  Hardware was one title that stuck out.  Directed by Richard Stanley, Hardware was a combo of horror and sci-fi, centering on a homicidal robot in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  The movie starred a pre-Practice Dylan McDermott and a smoking hot actress named Stacy Travis, as well as surprise cameos by Iggy Pop and Motorhead's Lemmy.  I don't remember if I ever saw an uncut version, but I do have vague memories of enjoying the low-budget surreal nature of it.  Thanks to Shocktillyoudrop.com and YouTube, I found out that Hardware is being released onto DVD on October 13th, courtesy of Severin Films.  Click on the link for details and a preview clip.  This is one lesser-known blending of genres that could use a second lease on life.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11847

~Doctor Splatter   

No comments:

Post a Comment